Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Seth Godin

"If you've read one of my books, thanks. I write them to be read, so without you, it would be a pointless exercise."
Seth Godin

Seth is widely considered to be the digital marketing genius in the world. He could, to borrow from Tommy Boy, "sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman wearing white gloves." He takes marketing concepts and turns them into "A-ha!" moments every day. But, at the end of the day, he's just selling you something. Or at least convince you that you didn't buy what he just said but that you came to the conclusion on your own. Really, that's all that marketing is.

I think that the fundamental flaw with Seth's statement from this blog entry is that writing with a sole intention of being read is "pointless". Write what you want, Seth, not because it's going to make you look like a better writer. And that's coming from somebody who reads your blog daily.

The worlds of art and commerce are inexorably drawn together these days. I'd rant on and on about what little the Honda Civic has to do with a music tour but I'm pretty tired and I think that an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia would be a better use of my time.

Telling people how cool you are on the internet is not as cool as being so in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pull the mctrigger