Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thank you, Darren McCarty

Darren McCarty retired today.

That probably doesn't mean much to you but he was my favorite hockey player ever. There's no real rhyme or reason why... And there's no way to explain how awesome the Greatest Fight in the history of hockey really is without watching it. People in Detroit (and Colorado) still talk about it to this day.

He also scored the Stanley Cup winning goal in 1997. It still gives me chills 12 years later.

He was a fourth liner. A bencher. 11 minutes a game. Penalties. Fights. Not many goals.... But, yes, he was my favorite. The only hockey sweater I've ever owned has been a McCarty jersey. I wore it on Sunday, as a matter of fact:

I know that just about EVERYONE in Nashville (and around the league for that matter) hated him as a player. That's okay. I've never been one to fly with convention... And maybe that's why I liked him so much. I just wanted to write a little something and let the few of you know who read this thing how much a fan I was and am.

Thanks for the memories, Darren McCarty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

pull the mctrigger