Thursday, July 15, 2010

A New Career

In a break from my normal snark, I'm writing a little more personally today. When I was contracted with Asurion, I went through a very rigorous interview process for a position that I ultimately did not get. I was also told I was not able to mention their name in any of my blog entries. I complied. After my contract ended, I picked up some extra hours at A Village of Flowers. Those of you who know me know that of all of the jobs that I have had, this is by far my favorite one that I've had. Hell, I'd do it for nothin'. The fact that I get paid to drive around a van, make people's days, and work with the best group of people that I have ever had the privilege and pleasure of working with. And if you've never worked a Valentine's Day or Mother's Day weekend at a florist then you just haven't lived. And I mean that. More intense than tax season at Harpeth, even. That being said...

Over the past two months, since my contract ended, I have been looking for a career position. Now my job at Harpeth would have certainly have been a career job (hell, it allowed me to buy a new car). After working there, I bounced for a bit and was even offered a position as a financial planner and explored it until I realized how much don't like sales. During this time, I delivered for the flower shop: filling in when they needed me; cleaning up weddings until all hours of the morning on the weekends; being an absolutely horrid arranger/designer; they've let me worked when I wanted to. Why they have kept me on for this past year, I don't really know, seeing as that I know about 9 different kinds of flowers out of the 2,387,986 that there are in existence.

Yesterday, I had a final interview with a company called NovaCopy. [If anyone from NovaCopy happens to come across this blog, I simply mention the name of the company to let my friends and family know the name of the company] it's not the first interview that I've had since I've been really looking and I honestly didn't expect it to be my last. After nearly two months of the interview process through various companies, I was starting to get frustrated -- as one would expect. I was told that I could expect a phone call by the end of the week regarding next steps. An hour and a half later, they called offered me the Human Resources position that I applied and interviewed for.

I accepted it today.

If anyone at AVOF happens to come across this, I just want to let you know that I have enjoyed working at the flower shop more than I can express. Talented people, sure. Better people, even more so. There is no way I can express what the people at the shop mean to me. All of you. And I just want to let you know that I would still like to work there on the weekends. You guys have kept me sane and I owe you all. I haven't been at a loss for words when it comes to people in about two years and that's where I kind of am now.

New Zealand. The dream is alive.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to have you on board, Stephen. Here's to a bright future, and a new family at NovaCopy.

    J.P. Levkulich, Director of Marketing - NovaCopy

    ReplyDelete

pull the mctrigger